Study Permit

A Study Permit allows a person from a foreign country to attend a specific educational institution for a limited period of time.  This individual must be enrolled in a specific program.

Most international students will need to obtain a Study Permit to attend school in Canada, but there are exceptions.

 A Study Permit is not required under the Following Conditions:

  • When parents have attained legal status in Canada, not Visitor Status, their minor children already in Canada do not need a Study Permit
  • If the educational program will six months or less, no Study Permit is needed
  • The family or employees of a foreign representative to Canada need no Study Permits

A qualified Canadian educational institution must first send a letter of acceptance to the applicant requesting a Study Permit before Citizenship and Immigration Canada will issue the permit.  There must also be proof shown that the applicant has the funds to support themselves and pay tuition.  There are also cases where the applicant must pass a medical examination and obtain a Police Clearance Certificate.

Foreign students are considered visitors and at the border they will need to prove to a Citizenship and Immigration Canada Officer that their visit and entry into Canada is only temporary.  They must arrive with enough money to support themselves and pay all their bills while attending school.

There are cases where a student may be allowed to work while going to school:

  • After obtaining a Work Permit, the student may work off campus
  • If working on campus no Work Permit is required
  • Where work experience is required as part of the coursework a Work Permit is required and this includes working in a Co-op or an Internship.