Express Entry

Federal Skilled Worker Class

To qualify for a Canada Immigration Visa (Permanent Resident) or a Canadian Federal Skilled Worker (Professional) applicants are required to:

  • Pass minimum requirements for understanding and speaking at least one of Canada’s two official languages, English or French.
  • Have a minimum of one year of ongoing full-time work or the equivalent paid work experience in the last ten years; or
  • Be qualified for Arranged Employment and possess a Labour Market Opinion and a full-time permanent offer of a job from a Canadian employer; or
  • Have earned a PhD in Canada or at least have completed two years of coursework in Canada towards a PhD.  In both instances this must be from a recognized Canadian institution.

Additionally applicants for the Canada Federal Skilled Worker (Professional) must have earned a minimum of 67 points on the immigration selection factors of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.  They must also have had at least one year of ongoing full-time or the equivalent paid skilled work experience in the past ten years.

The Selection Factors Are:

  • Education – Total points awarded are 25
  • Language Ability – You can get up to 28 points for your skills in English and French. You will be given points based on your ability to listen,speak,read and write.
  • Work Experience – A total of 15 points awarded for paid skilled work in the last 10 years.  9 points are required as a minimum
  • Age – a total of 12 points
  • Arranged Employment – A total of 10 points may be awarded
  • Adaptability – A total of 10 points can be awarded

In addition, all applicants and dependents must take and pass medical exams.  They also must pass a security clearance.  They also have to prove that they have enough money and resources to support themselves and all their dependents upon arriving in Canada.

Canadian Experience Class

You need to meet these requirements to apply under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:

  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec
  • have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
  • have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization
  • meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening).

The application process starts while they are still in Canada and they are allowed to stay in the country while their application is being processed.  For people who have already left Canada, they are still able to apply to the program if they submit their application and start the process within one year of leaving their place of employment in Canada.